Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Jena 6 - I will be wearing black!

I will be wearing black on September 20th in my support of the Jena 6. I know that the 6 black boys in Jena, Louisiana could have been related to me. They could have been one of my cousins or a child from the neighborhood. That is why I will be wearing black. That is why I will be dressing my children in black.


If it’s the JENA 6 today, it could be 6 of your friends tomorrow, 6 of your relatives the next day, 6 of your cousins the day after that, and 6 of your children the day after that. There are 6 black boys in Jena, Louisiana who are in for the fight of their lives because they are facing life in jail for a school yard fight. It’s ignorance at its worse and racism at its best. The time is now for everyone to stand up for justice, no matter your color. The time is now for all of us to rally behind the JENA 6 and get the people out of office for what they’ve done and what they’re attempting to do. It is an American embarrassment and an American tragedy. How can the wealthiest, most civilized, most industrialized society in the world lower itself to such brutal, arcane, unforgivable practices? Who are we Americans? Who do we want to be?


I urge everyone who can travel to Jena, LA on September 20th to do so. The Jena 6 need our support. Visit http://www.freethejena6.org/ to learn more and to be urged to act!!!


Radio personality and author, Michael Baisden is urging all of us to wear black on September 20th in support of the Jena 6. Visit http://www.michaelbaisden.com/ for more info on his work.



I urge you to wear black and tell somebody why you are wearing black. If you don’t know what to say, feel free to use this script:


“I am wearing black today because 6 black boys in Louisiana are in the fight for their lives against a corrupt criminal justice system who doesn’t value their lives. I would never want my children, my family, or my neighbors to lose their freedom over a school yard fight. It’s not right and so today I am wearing black. I am mourning civil rights that the criminal justice system in Jena, Louisiana is so easily trying to kill. If you enjoy your freedom, you, too, should be wearing black.”

No comments: